5.06.2009

The Road Marked With Suffering


I'm a worship leader at our church, so to say "one of my favorite songs..." doesn't carry much weight. I have about a million favorites - so many songs have spoken God's truth into my life at one time or another. So I guess, a song that has really spoken to me is "Blessed Be Your Name," by Matt Redman, or Chris Tomlin, or Tree63, or whoever your favorite artist is that has covered it at one time or another. You can listen to it on the playlist at the bottom of the page (it's #14), or you can find it here (unofficial YouTube version). Anyway, the lyrics read:


Blessed Be Your Name
In the land that is plentiful
Where Your streams of abundance flow
Blessed be Your name

Blessed Be Your name
When I'm found in the desert place
Though I walk through the wilderness
Blessed Be Your name

Every blessing You pour out
I'll turn back to praise
When the darkness closes in, Lord
Still I will say


Blessed be the name of the Lord
Blessed be Your name
Blessed be the name of the Lord
Blessed be Your glorious name

Blessed be Your name
When the sun's shining down on me
When the world's 'all as it should be'
Blessed be Your name


Blessed be Your name
On the road marked with suffering
Though there's pain in the offering
Blessed be Your name


Every blessing You pour out
I'll turn back to praise
When the darkness closes in, Lord
Still I will say


Blessed be the name of the Lord
Blessed be Your name
Blessed be the name of the Lord
Blessed be Your glorious name

You give and take away,
You give and take away,
My heart would choose to say,
Lord, blessed be Your Name



I think the main reason this song speaks to me so powerfully is because I am always challenged by it, regardless of where I find myself. I especially have to ask myself if I am living true to the words I sing in the sixth stanza:

Blessed be your name,
on the road marked with suffering,
though there's pain in the offering,
blessed be your name...

Am I really living out my faith in this way? When I run up against a setback, major disappointment, or devastating event are my first thoughts or words really "Oh, thanks for that, God! Blessed be Your Name!" ??

Ummm...no.

A great, big, fat, resounding NO. If I'm truly honest, I usually throw myself a royal pity party, complete with whining and moping - on the inside at least, although I'm certainly not above an outward demonstration of my feelings. (In fact, I feel like I usually have a really hard time controlling this and everyone
must know what a terrible day I'm having, and poo on them for butting in...)

God has really broken my heart for all of the hurting and suffering around me this week. A few weeks ago, I was reading another friend's blog, and I followed a link and happened upon my charming kids, the blog of a mom/family with an exceptional story, and now (thanks to the Internet) what seems like a worldwide platform to declare God's glory through their suffering. Amazing - I'll blog on that later. Last night, her blog basically gave an open call for prayer, and currently has over 800 comments asking for or offering prayer. The stories moved me to tears over and over again. And seriously, this wasn't just because I'm pregnant and emotional and it was closing in on midnight. They were transforming. Among them were the stories of precious Kayleigh and Jonah, facing trials of a caliber that are just...indescribable.

Monday, Kyler went to visit someone from our church in the hospital who has been battling breast cancer for three years. She's been in and out of hospitals, been on the chemo roller coaster, and just recently the cancer was found to have spread to her bones and other major organs. She passed away early yesterday morning. She's the mom of three young kids, two little girls ages 7 and 6, and a 3-year-old little boy. The really gut-wrenching part of this family's story is that they just lost their grandmother (this woman's mother-in-law) in January (also from cancer). She (the grandmother) was a pillar of faith in our church; a prayer warrior and boundless servant of God. So now, the son has lost his mom and his wife in the past four months. My heart is just broken for him, those little children, and their entire family.

When I started writing this post, I was thinking about these families and their stories, and was feeling so selfish. I am so blessed. The setbacks I encounter on a daily basis are so insignificant compared to the circumstances in which these folks find themselves. And they, for the most part, have responded with such honesty, transparency, grace, and
faith. I have to ask myself how I would respond if God chose me for a portion such as theirs. I'd like to think that my life, regardless of hardship, pain, or suffering, would always point to Him. I'd like to think that my response would glorify and exalt Him. I'd like to think that my selfish and sinful human nature wouldn't cloud my realization that my Creator has a plan to prosper me, and He knows the entire plan, not just the parts that will cause me pain. I'd like to think I would resolutely stay the course, and trust that He who began a good work in me would carry it on until completion.

But I'm not so sure I would.

And so, I pray that should God ever give me such a public
opportunity to glorify Him in and through my suffering, I would respond in a way that glorified Him, and brought hope to those around me. (Though of course, if I'm really honest, I'll admit that my selfish nature hopes against hope that my "portion" should ever include such a excruciating trial such as those I've mentioned.) That being the case, I'll pray just the same. And, I'll pray for those families and thank God for the blessing their testimony has been to me.

You give and take away,
You give and take away,
My heart would
choose to say,
Lord, blessed be Your Name


No comments: