9.16.2009

Going Solo

It's been a rough two weeks.

I guess I should have known something was up that second day in the hospital when I felt like I'd been hit by a truck. Right after Callan was born, I was on that natural delivery "high" you hear about for nearly 36 hours. I couldn't sleep, and felt like I was on top of the world. It didn't matter that I had just delivered a baby and needed to rest. I could leap tall buildings in a single bound, fight evil, maybe even brave Wal-Mart on Black Friday. Maybe.

However long that natural high characteristically lasts, mine had most definitely ended - abruptly - by the morning I was to be discharged. You may recall that I caught a cold about a week before I was induced, and that cold had by this point deteriorated into some sort of bronchial/sinus infection. I just wanted to pass out in that hospital bed and sleep all day. Needless to say, I got home feeling pretty darn miserable.

Since then, I've dealt with allergies, days-long fevers, mastitis, and a stomach bug, all at the same time. Ugh! Having done this before - twice - I expected things to be challenging...especially now with a newborn and two toddlers, but seriously?!? I have wanted so badly to get up and do things, and I've tried (walked a mile on day 3 and again on day 7), and generally regretted it big time a few hours later (spiked a fever both days...) I hate that feeling.

Thank the Lord for in-laws. No, I'm serious. I have the best in-laws on the planet, and I wouldn't have survived these past two weeks without them. We've been staying with Kyler's parents since my mom had to return to TX (day 4). My sister-in-law has been around a few days to help entertain the boys, and watched them when we went in for Callan's first pediatrician's appointment, despite being 32 weeks pregnant. My mother-in-law has gotten the big boys up in the morning, dressed, breakfasted, and entertained them, despite working (she works out of a home office). My father-in-law comes home from work and is an endless source of fun and games.

And my husband has been an absolute hero. Through all of this, Callan has been having a difficult time getting his days and nights straightened out. Until last night, he was generally up either nursing or screaming until roughly 4am. Every night. Poor kid. Kyler took the "night shift" (midnight-4am) for nearly ten days straight, walking, burping, singing, cuddling, and distracting our sweet boy, just so I could rest. And then he was getting up in the morning and going to work all day. He is so incredible (and I am so blessed!)

Last night, Callan slept from 2:30am-6am and again from 7:30am-10am. Hallelujah! And I am finally feeling better. Well, better than terrible. Still, reason for more praises!

So, today I'm going solo. It's my first day totally on my own with all three boys. And it will be a definite test - jumping in without my floaties on. It's our longest day, since Kyler has a 9:30am meeting and generally isn't home until 1 or 2am (after Common Ground and college ministry hang time).

Thinking happy thoughts...

1 comment:

Carrie said...

Best of luck to you. I hope your day has been a good one. My first day at home with the girls by myself I was so nervous! I hope you are feeling better.