8.11.2009

"Not Me!" Monday


Are you looking for a blog to read that will make your crazy life seem a tad bit normal? Feeling guilty for casually allowing your small children to launch themselves off the arm of the living room sofa? Or maybe just needing to divulge the fact that you are not a culinary master and on occasion, if left to your own devices, just may allow your children to eat only bread if they so desire?

Look no further. "Not Me!" Monday was written just for you! (Well, and for me, because really, I just need to get this stuff out!) Enjoy my brutal honesty, and chime in with a comment of your own at the end of the post!

*********************************************

For starters, this entire week has felt like one gargantuan "Not Me!" episode. So why is it that when I went to sit down and pound out this week's typewritten therapeutic venting session, I could not recall a single thing that I'd originally intended to include? That's right, pregnancy brain has gotten so bad around here, I actually had to sit down with my husband in order to remember even one thing to write. I suppose I should rejoice over this! The Lord is gracious to take away our memories of many unpleasant things. But an entire week? Oh well. Such is life at 38 weeks pregnant, I guess. Regardless, it may be safest for me to jot down a quick list before I forget them again!

On Friday afternoon, Kyler and I were preparing to head over to his parents' house for dinner. They were back from a 3-week trip to Hawaii (business trip for his Mom, and a great perk for his Dad!) and had invited us over for dinner. I insisted we weren't staying at his parents' house, attributing to the fact that we still have so much to do to prepare for Baby's arrival.

And so it certainly wasn't my family that ended up staying 3-1/2 days at my in-laws, despite having only three diapers and three pull ups. I'm still not quite sure how we pulled that one off. Hmmm....oh well!

I've been having a tremendously difficult time getting to sleep and feeling rested in the morning. What with all of the crazy, vivid dreams, bathroom breaks every hour (at least), muscle cramps, and the hip hop dance classes Baby is holding inside my belly, I generally find myself staring at the clock until 2am nearly every night, desperately begging the Lord to put me to sleep. So wasn't it incredibly wise of me to just go ahead and stay up until 2am sewing baby gifts for a shower I was attending on Saturday? No? Well, that's alright then, because it wasn't me that did.

Remember the fact that I insisted that we weren't going to stay the night at Kyler's parents' house? Well, since I knew we wouldn't stay, I of course didn't feel the need to haul over anything unnecessary, like clothes (or diapers/pull-ups for the boys, apparently...) So it couldn't have been yours truly that, lacking any sort of clothing in even a remotely appropriate size, wore the same clothes I'd worn all day Friday to the baby shower the next day. Um, nope. That's just gross. (And Genny, now you know why any pictures of me posted on FB have been promptly un-tagged...)

Kyler's mom is incredibly wonderful about making her home as grandchild-friendly as possible. The boys even have their own room, beds, and closet in her house. I know. She's amazing. So, given how easy she has made it for me, certainly I'd have taken the appropriate steps to make sure the boys' clothing is rotated and gone through on a regular basis. I mean, what Mom worth her salt wouldn't want to be sure there is something they can actually wear in their closets, ready for an occasion such as an unexpected visit? Hmmm. Even if I didn't, say, make sure there was semi-appropriately-sized clothing there for the boys, surely I'd have something in the right size with me in the diaper bag, or the car, or....? Yes. The Boy Scout motto is also my own. Be prepared...that's me!

Which is why it must have been some other Mom you saw dragging herself and her boys into the church children's wing on Sunday morning, dressed in clothing that was at least two sizes too big or too small (or both, as in a 12-month shirt and 4T pants on a child that is nearly two). It wasn't me.

And finally this week, it most assuredly was not me who...

- still hasn't packed a bag for the hospital, despite the fact that my due date is only two weeks away (or the fact that Cameron was two weeks early...)

- thought Ritz crackers with chocolate icing and peanut butter was a reasonable choice for lunch on Sunday afternoon...

- was (quickly, though discreetly) kicked out of her own children's room (by her husband) at bedtime for being too grumpy...

Not ME!!

*********************************************

I'd love to hear about all of the things you didn't do this week! Scroll down and click on the comment link to leave a note. "Not Me!" Monday is an incredibly fun, blogging carnival started by MckMama on her blog, my charming kids. Basically, it's where we all can be brutally honest about the ridiculous things that will inevitably happen in everyday life.

No comments: