11.05.2009

Oatmeal Raisin Goodness

   
YUM.



Just the other day, I hopped online in search of a really great recipe for something the boys could snack on that was relatively healthy. You know, better than fruit snacks and animal crackers. Okay, I admit it, I wanted something I could eat too. Nursing a baby 24/7 gives you the munchies. Boy are you in luck. I found a great recipe here and tweaked it a bit. I included it below, along with the obligatory pictures of my baking assistants, of course.

**************************************

Oatmeal Raisin Goodness

1 cup whole wheat flour
1-1/2 cups rolled oats
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp cinnamon (or three if your two-year-old is helping...)
1/2 tsp nutmeg
2 Tbsp flaxseed meal

1/2 cup honey
1/4 cup olive oil
1/2 cup applesauce
1/2 mashed banana (or 1/2 cup pureed pumpkin...yum!)
1 Tbsp molasses (or maple syrup)
1 egg
1 Tbsp vanilla

1/2 cup raisins (or more...I think I used closer to a cup)
handful of dried cranberries (or other dried fruit)
We didn't have chopped walnuts, but I may have included those. Maybe.


You may be wondering if perhaps I left something out of the recipe. No sugar? No butter?

Nope. 

I told you, they're yummy and good for you.

**************************************

1. Mix dry ingredients (first group) together in a large mixing bowl.








2. Mix wet ingredients (second group) together in a medium mixing bowl. Coat your measuring spoons with baking spray before measuring the honey and molasses and they will slide right out.

3. Mix everything together (I used my KitchenAid mixer. Honey is some tough stuff to mix by hand...) Let your two-year-old help, but expect that this will probably happen:



 

4. Add in the raisins or nuts, or whatever. Add a little more flour if it seems too wet.

5. Stick the mix in the fridge for 20 minutes. Or in our case, long enough to nurse the crying baby and watch an episode of VeggieTales. I recommend "King George and the Ducky."

6. Preheat oven to 325*F. Admire that your infant is now sleeping peacefully, allowing you to enjoy this time with your big boys.



7. Drop cookie dough by teaspoonfuls (or use a cookie scoop) onto a greased cookie sheet.



8. Press down lightly with a fork (this is easier if you use baking spray on the fork first).

9. Bake for 15 minutes or until bottom is golden brown. To help pass the time, watch another VeggieTales. We watched "Rack, Shack, and Benny."

10. Remove from oven. Use a spatula to transfer cookies to a wire cooling rack. Let cool about 10 minutes. Try not to drool on them while you wait.



This recipe yields...alot.
But you'll still want to make more.  
I did.

 

11. Taste. Yum. Decide these are so delicious and good for you, too. Beware...this recipe may convince you it's okay to allow your children to have cookies for dinner. And maybe some yogurt.

But maybe that's just me.




No comments: