5.13.2010

Tortilla Soup

      

If you haven't gotten dinner planned yet, no worries. I've got you covered. All you need is a few basic staples (well, they're staples in our house, anyway) and a great big pot (or a crock pot).

Tortilla soup is one of my favorite meals, ever. Definitely a comfort food in our house. It's my cold/rainy/icky-weather go-to, my I'm-homesick-for-Texas go-to, my I-don't-feel-so-hot go-to, and my I-so-don't-feel-like-putting-any-kind-of-effort-into-dinner-tonight go-to. See? SO versatile.

My roommates and I used to throw this together all the time in college, and I've tweaked it a little here and there over the years. And now I'm sharing it with you, because I'm nice like that.

Go ahead and get your counter space and your can opener ready. You'll need:

chicken broth (how much depends on how soup-y you like your soup. I use a couple of quarts, I think)
diced tomatoes (I like the kind with green chilies in them, or I use regular diced tomatoes and then also throw in a can of Rotel. Or I use 1 can of regular and 1 with green chilies. Just remember the longer you let your soup simmer, the more it will bring out the pepper flavor.)
beans (I use 1 can of black and 1 can of pinto)
white hominy (1 can)
whole kernel corn (1 can)
tortilla chips
shredded cheese
cilantro
ground turkey (or shredded chicken, or...)

How much of each thing you include is really personal preference. One can, two cans, whatever. This soup is different every time I fix it. That said:

Drain the beans, hominy, and corn in a colander and rinse with water.
Occasionally, we have it with ground turkey or shredded chicken. Fully cook the meat first.
Throw everything together in a big stock pot or crock pot.
Bring to a boil, then simmer for an hour...or all day.
Top with tortilla chips, the shredded cheese of your choice (my husband likes the four-cheese Mexican blend. I like mozzarella. Whatever.) and cilantro. I love cilantro.

And you're good to go. Dinner! Yum.



No comments: